Monday, April 2, 2012

Delivering Negative Feedback Effectively – A Case Study


One of the most difficult parts of being a manager is approaching employees who are not performing well and providing negative feedback.  In this scenario, I imagine that I am a manager in a mid-sized company that provides technology support services.  I manage ten employees who are required to maintain a high level of technical expertise and deliver excellent customer service.  One of my employees, Steve, has been with the company for two years.   He is performing at a substandard level and I have received numerous complaints from customers and coworkers.  In addition, Steve has displayed confrontational behavior which has created a hostile work environment.  I must now meet with Steve and deliver an ultimatum regarding the need for immediate improvement or dismissal. 
 
Since Steve has been the subject of numerous complaints and displayed confrontational behavior I know that I have to approach him carefully and with a lot of tact.  We are a technology services company, so I send Steve an e-mail so as to not approach him in front of others who could see or hear us and create more talk about the situation.  In my e-mail I ask to meet with him at his earliest convenience and give him a few time slots over the next two days.  I believe this communicates a certain respect for his time and also makes him feel like he has some control over the process.  It also allows him some time to prepare for our meeting but does not let too much time elapse, which could lead to even more tense feelings around the office.  Regardless of whether I like Steve I have to communicate responsibly.  “Communicating responsibly does not mean that we have to agree with or even like everyone with whom we interact.  It does mean that we should show others respect and be willing to listen with an open mind to their points of view (Trenholm, 2008).”  This is the example I must set for Steve and convey that I expect the same from him.
         
 Given that Steve’s behavior has been a problem for some time, this is not the first meeting we are having and he is probably be expecting that I will once again be bringing up his performance.  Steve agrees to meet later in the day and this time there will be no other managers present.  I am determined that this time I will get through to him and do everything I can to make him once again a happy and productive member of the department.  However, I am also anticipating that Steve will likely be on defensive mode, act combative, and have a hard time listening because he thinks he knows what I am going to say.  I also expect that Steve will have some feedback of his own to give.  “Competent communicators are open to feedback about their own behavior and know how to give useful feedback to others (Trenholm, 2008).”
   
In order to prevent this meeting from going into destructive communication patterns I must begin our conversation on a positive tone and start by saying that I am eager to hear his side of the story and am there to listen.  I am determined to listen to everything Steve has to say no matter how much I disagree or may want to interject.  After Steve has finished I will thank him for being honest with me and remind him of the positive side of disagreements and criticism.  “Disagreements and criticism are normal parts of office life.  Without disagreements, we’d simply rubberstamp every idea.  Without criticism, how could we learn?  When negative feedback is directed at you, don’t take it personally.  And when you’re the one disagreeing, make sure that you focus on the issues, not the person (Trenholm, 2008).”

I will try to get to the bottom of why things changed for Steve, since he was a very good employee for the first 15 months he was with the company, and try to find out if there is anything I can do bring things to a resolution.  As a leader it is a priority for me to build strong, trusting and respectful relationships with my team members.  “When they trust and respect you, it becomes much easier for them to listen when you deliver clear instructions and “negative” feedback because they know you have high standards and care deeply about their performance and career development (Miller, 2010).”  If Steve approaches the situation with a positive attitude and appears to be listening, I will suggest possible compromises and solutions that address his concerns.  However, I must be firm that this is Steve’s last chance to change things around and that if his behavior remains the same we must conclude that our company is not a good fit for him and he will likely be happier somewhere else. 
 
It is important to listen attentively with an open mind and remember that knowing how to give negative feedback effectively is essential to being a good manager, leader and communicator.  The kindest, most empowering thing a leader can do for their team is to set clear guidelines and expectations, then give firm, timely feedback if those expectations are not met. Feedback is no longer something negative when you’re a mentor and a coach (Miller, 2010).”

References

Trenholm, S. (2008) Thinking through communication, 5th Ed. Allyn & Bacon

Miller, J., (2010) Ask Jo: How to communicate negative feedback without causing hard feelings and resentment.  Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology.  Retrieved from: http://anitaborg.org/news/archive/ask-jo-how-to-communicate-negative-feedback-without-causing-hard-feelings-and-resentment/

No comments: